They Say It’s My Birthday! 44 Ways I’ve Improved My Life
Today I’m laughing. Why? Because I’m thinking back about a decade when I believed the back pain that plagued my 30′s was something I was going to have to live with for the rest of my life. I figured that it was simply a matter of aging. In my 30′s!
If you’ve had a chance to read my story, then you know I looked like this four years ago…
Well, today I turn 44. I’m officially starting the 45th year of my life, and I feel SO much better than I did at the time that photo was taken! Back pain is gone. No more bright orange horse pills. No more inhaler for my asthma. Allergies are almost non-existent. The cancer never made a comeback.
How have I done this? Well, to be honest, I can’t pinpoint any one thing. But I’ve made a whole lot of changes over the last seven years, removing toxins from my life a little at a time and adding practices to reduce stress and build muscle. I now understand that my lifestyle choices have a HUGE impact over the way I feel.
So I want to give a gift to YOU today. I want to share with you what I’ve been doing.
I feel that too often, we don’t hear enough about these little tweaks. We see ads for drugs and we’re often given prescriptions as a first round of treatment.
If you’ve not been feeling so great, please give these steps a try, too. YOU are worth it!
1. Drink warm lemon water in the morning.
2. Ditch the soda, juice, and colored sports drinks. Water. Drink water.
3. Eat greens- romaine, spinach, kale, collards, swiss chard, dandelion, mustard, beet.
4. Take a probiotic supplement or eat fermented foods.
6. Practice yoga at least once a week.
7. Get outside. Often.
8. Grow your own food. An herb totally counts.
9. Practice meditation. Close your eyes and breathe deeply for 3 minutes. Not while driving.
12. Get together with friends. Friends who make you laugh.
13. Learn something new weekly. Dot on top of “i” is called a tittle. There. Got you started.
14. Stop or reduce your gluten intake.
15. Practice gratitude. List all the things going right in your life.
17. Meet new people.
18. Watch a TV show that isn’t “reality”.
19. Take a media break every month.
20. Smile. At strangers, too.
21. Eat nuts. But never ask the guy at Whole Foods where his nuts are.
23. Make a meal for someone in need.
24. Eat breakfast. Smoothies count.
25. Be mindful when you eat.
26. Limit your alcohol intake.
27. Make most of your meals from food that comes from the ground. Not boxes.
28. Have sex. Solo counts, too.
29. Eat seaweed. Not off the beach.
31. Ditch the dairy.
32. Throw out the microwave. Okay…eventually throw out the microwave. For now, use less.
33. Eat LOTS of colorful veggies. Every day. Corn doesn’t count.
34. Play with the children in your life.
35. Start and end your day with an affirmation. I AM AMAZING. I LOVE MY LIFE. I HAVE ENERGY.
36. Try a new recipe at least once a month.
37. Ditch the lawn chemicals. Make friends with dandelions.
39. READ LABELS.
40. Find something you are passionate about.
41. Lift weights or plank every week.
42. Burn only soy or beeswax candles scented with essential oils.
43. Recycle. And other such stuff for the planet. Laundry lines, consignment, cloth bags…
44. Face your fears. It’s natural to have them. But don’t let them rule your life.